Overview - KAMRA Inlay
KAMRA InlayIntroducing the presbyopia solution
- Need your glasses to read this website?
- Are restaurant menus a blur?
- Do you hold your arm out to read your mobile phone?
- Struggle to read the prices in the supermarket?
It's a natural result of aging, as the lens in your eye loses its elasticityits ability to flex to focus on close objects as well as far away ones.
Until now, the way to address presbyopia has been reading glasses, monovision, LASIK or contact lenses.
Now, however, there's a more advanced option for restoring everyday near vision now available in Australia. AcuFocus has invested in over 10 years of research and development into the KAMRA inlay which is a simple, reversible surgical procedure that corrects presbyopia, or the need to wear reading glasses.
What is the KAMRA Inlay?
Smaller than a contact lens, the KAMRA Inlay is a device implanted in the eye to treat presbyopia or reduce the need to wear reading glasses.
The KAMRA Inlay utilises a principle similar to photography called depth of focus. The benefit of this technology is a broader range of clarity of focusnear, far and in between.
The KAMRA inlay is an opaque circular micro-disc with a small opening (1.6 mm) in the center. It is much smaller than a contact lens and lighter than a grain of saltthe actual size is just 3.8 mm in diameter!
How the KAMRA inlay works
When placed in the cornea, the small opening in the center of the KAMRA inlay blocks unfocused light and only allows focused light to reach the retina. With focused light rays, you can enjoy a wider range of improved vision for all distances near, far and in between. The small-aperture technology is a superior alternative to options that use a multi-focal approach.
Try this experiment...
- Hold your hand up to one eye and close the other, then roll that hand into a tight fist.
- Slowly open your fist until there's a small tunnel of light through the middle.
- Look through that tunnel at the words on this page. Sharper, aren't they?
- Try it with and without your reading glasses, and with and without looking through your tightened fist.
- That's the remarkably simple idea behind the KAMRA inlay.
Of course, the KAMRA inlay does not reduce your field of vision as your closed up fist does. In fact, the inlay is able to restore near and intermediate vision while maintaining distance vision. Thousands of tiny perforations along the surface of the inlay help your cornea stay healthy.
The KAMRA inlay benefit
Imagine if everything you looked at close up had the same clarity as your long distance sight. Now, you can imagine what life with the KAMRA inlay could be.
- Provides natural vision without compromise
- Restores everyday near vision and reduces the need for reading glasses
- Revives near and computer vision while maintaining good distance vision
- Works continuously for constant, long-term near vision rejuvenation
- A decade of clinical research and development
The KAMRA inlay will not be suitable for everyone and a thorough eye examination is required to determine the best treatment option for your eyes.